Friday, May 10, 2013

Packing and Confusion

I leave in about 12 hours from now. I'm almost all packed up, and ready to go. I even checked into my flights for tomorrow!

Here is my portable home, which will be my source of everything for the next few weeks.

You might notice a little blue box:

This is my plush TARDIS. It will be travelling with me.
Doctor Who uses his TARDIS to travel in time and space. I'm sort of doing the same thing. I'm going all over the place, but I'm also time travelling in the archives. It might pop up now and again for fun.

Of course, I have to say goodbye to my family. I decided that I will start with my cats. Yes. My cats. One of my cats, Tucscon, is angry at me. He is mad that I stayed away so long at school.

Kitty does not approve of my comings and goings
He doesn't like that I am not around so much anymore. Sorry, kitty. You can't keep me. Here, I'll make you feel better:

That's better!
The other cat, Button, doesn't really know that I left in the first place. There's a reason my mom calls her "Simple Kitty." She's never really sure where she is, but she's sweet.

All she wanted to do was lick the camera.
After posting yesterday, I realized that I talked it about in my first video, but I didn't exactly explain in writing what I'm going to be doing over these next five weeks. I'm an intern for the Mennonite Brethren   Historical Commission, and am being funded to go on a trip by the Katie Funk Wiebe fund. I'll be spending a week in Hillsboro, Kansas, a week in Fresno, California, a week in Abbotsford, British Columbia, and two weeks in Winnipeg, Manitoba. During my time there, I'll be doing archival work (cleaning documents, organizing), and I'll also be doing a research project focusing on Mennonite Brethren missionaries in the early to mid-twentieth century. I have some personal connections to missions in that time period then, and I'll be trying to find out more about them.

I have some books that I would like to read this summer, once I finish Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie. I had been planning on getting these on my Kindle from the Iowa City Public Library. However, they have changed their format of ebooks and I don't know how to work it now. After about an hour of frustration, I just gave up and decided I'd wait until I got back and maybe find some of the more popular ones at a used book place somewhere, and then get the others from the library when I get home.

Now, I want to hear from you guys. I know how many people are looking at the blog, I know where you are from, and I know what kind of phone you have. However, you're all sitting there silently watching. Here's my question for the day: What are you travel tips? Leave me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! I really like your blog! Thanks for sharing your adventure. I am sure you know more about travel than I do, but I like that you have included so many photo's in your blog. My only request is that some of them include YOU! :) Enjoy your summer and the diversity of all your travels!
    Take Care !
    Annette Fulton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annette! I would share more pictures of me on the blog, but 1. I am on the other side of the camera and don't want to bother other people with taking my picture, and 2. I absolutely hate getting my picture taken. However, I'm sure there will be a few pictures of me here and there.
      --Amanda

      Delete