Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pinterest and research

This morning was a pretty quiet morning. Peggy is interested in putting things up on Pinterest, but is still needing to look up legal things, so I edited the pictures, but I am unable to really do anything else at this point. I did get a chance to take those banners out of Emma and Bena's box.




Some silk cloth with embroidered roses on it. 

In the afternoon, I got to do some more research. I decided to start on the H.C. Bartel box. Henry C. Bartel was the founding missionaries in the MB missions to China. He was born near Warsaw, Poland and immigrated when he was about 3 1/2 years old. He eventually started service in Berne, Indiana at an orphanage. There, he met his wife, Nellie, and they started service in China a year after getting married. He and his wife stayed in China for 50 years (Nellie died in China in 1946). There are a bunch of other parts of the story-- The church refusing to support Henry because Nellie was not baptized by immersion, breakdown of the Chinese government, etc. However, I know that some of you are wondering if he's related to me. I don't think he is, but then I found this:

"'Sabena Bartel', the father of missionary H.C. Bartel to China, lived in the rock hosue on Glen Kliewer’s place, 1 and ¾ miles north of Hillsboro. This Bartel was a frugal and hard-working man, and hauled rock from Marion. He couldn’t make three loads in one day, so he unloaded one load half-way to Marion, returned to Hillsboro, and thus in two days was able to make 5 loads instead of 4 loads. These rocks were used to build the well-known Bartel rock house with the carved door lintel, Heinrich Bartel 1879."

I am fairly certain that my family is the one that lived in the Heinrich Bartel house, but this little bit of writing was a bit cryptic. It's possible that Heinrich Franz and Maria Kliewer Bartel (Henry C. Bartel's parents) had a different rock house. I know that my family is from Swiniary, Poland, which is actually pretty far from Warsaw. But, Peggy did make the comment that "the Bartels married the Bartels who married the Bartels," So maybe I'm related to him somewhere in there.

With that little bit about the rock house, there was also this:

"The term 'Sabena Bartel' has its origin in a family legend of a Bartel hiding the king, and as a reward the king gave him a ring."

Umm.... What is this "family legend" and how have I never heard of it before? I really don't think it is real at all, but come on! Where's that ring?


A picture of H.C. Bartel and his missionary team (including Bena and Emma Bartel)
H.C. Bartel during retirement
The H.C. Bartel family with children
Tent at H.C. Bartel's farewell in Hillsboro.
H.C., Nellie, and sons Loyal and Paul and daughter Agnes
H.C. Bartel in retirement with Bena and Emma Bartel on right.
Tomorrow is another day with more work and research to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment